Tigert Memorial United Methodist Church
In 1892, the Methodist Episcopal Church evolved with 12 members on 13th and Poplar Street. The church then moved to 31st and Sycamore in 1896. In 1899, plans to build a new church on 37th and Elm Street began. In 1906, the name was changed
to Elm Street Methodist Episcopal Church. Lots on 33rd and Washington were purchased in 1914 and the name was changed again to Tigert Memorial Methodist Episcopal Church in honor of Bishop John James Tigert III. The new building and present
location was dedicated in 1923. Construction of the parsonage next door to the church was completed and dedication was in 1953.