Pilot
Light 2000

Historic Cairo

St. Patrick's Church







The very first church of any kind built in Cairo was St. Patrick's. The year was 1838 and the church was built on the Ohio Levee at 18th Street. In 1845, the Ohio River flooded and carried the church with it down the river. A second St. Pat's church was constructed on lots at 9th and Washington Avenue, but by 1891, the congregation outgrew this building and plans to construct the third and present day location were started. This church was dedicated in 1894 and still stands today.




Visit Pilot Light 2000