The statue stands proudly in Halliday Park between 9th & 10th Street. Presented to the city of Cairo in 1906 by Mrs. W.P. Halliday and children in memory of Capt. W.P. Halliday, the bronze sculpture was created by George Grey Barnard and
depicts a nude man hewing and dragging wood to save the people from death and destruction from a flood.