First Presbyterian Church
Recorded history sources report the first Presbyterian Church service was held in 1852 aboard a wharf boat tied up at the Ohio River bank. A building site was located and with donations provided from Presbyterians in St. Louis, Mo. and
locally, a building was constructed on the corner of 8th and Walnut Street and First Presbyterian Church of Cairo was organized. By 1892, the church officers decided the congregation had outgrown the building and lots on 18th and Washington
Avenue were purchased in 1893. The new church and parsonage were completed in 1894.